This course does not use a single textbook. Instead, several textbooks are recommended as references:
-  Interconnections: Bridges, Routers, Switches, and Internetworking Protocols (2nd Edition) by Radia Perlman.
-  The All-New Switch Book by Rich Seifert and Jim Edwards, John Wiley
-  John Moy, OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol, Admission Wesley, 1998
-  BGP4: Inter-Domain Routing in the Internet (1st Edition) by John W. Stewart III
-  For multimedia networking, RTP Audio and Video for the Internet by Colin Perkins.
-  For review of basic networking concepts: Computer Networks by Kurose and Ross.
-  Recent Advances in Networking, The ACM SIGCOMM ebook
-  Interconnections: Second Edition by Radia Perlman.
-  Internet Routing Architectures Second Edition by Sam Halabi.
-  MPLS: next steps by Bruce Davie and Adrian Farrel.
-  RTP: Audio and Video for the Internet by Colin Perkins.
-  Network Algorithmics by George Varghese
-  Computer Networks: a systems approach, 5th Edition, by Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie.
-  Content Networking: Architecture, Protocols and Practice by Markus Hofmann and Leland Beaumont.
-  “Fault-Tolerant Broadcast of Routing Information,” Computer Networks Vol. 7 (1983) p395-405. by Radia Perlman.
Other parts of the course, we rely on lecture notes. We refer students to IETF RFCs for specific protocols.
- [ONOS14] Pankaj Berde et al, “ONOS: Towards an Open, Distributed SDN OS,” ACM HotSDN 2014.
- [OVX14] Ali Al-Shabibi et al, “OpenVirteX: Make Your Virtual SDNs Programmable,” ACM HotSDN 2014.
- [Synicate14] J. Nelson and L. Peterson, “Syndicate: Virtual Cloud Storage Through Provider Composition,” ACM BigSystem 2014.
- [XOS15] Larry Peterson et al, “XOS: An Extensible Cloud Operating System,” ACM BigSystem 2015.
- [CORD15] “Central Office Re-architected as Datacenter (CORD),” Open Networking Lab (ON.Lab) White Paper, June 2015, PDF.
- [CORDNFV] “CORD and the NFV Architecture,” Open Networking Lab (ON.Lab) White Paper, June 2015, PDF.
- [XOS&CORD] “XOS: A Service Abstraction Layer for CORD,” Open Networking Lab (ON.Lab) White Paper, June 2015, PDF.
- [OpenCloud] “OpenCloud: A Value-Added Cloud for Internet2,”, PDF.
- [ServiceCompositionCORD] Larry Peterson et al, “Service Assembly & Composition in CORD,” Jun 2016, link.
- [NetworkHyperVisorSurvey] Andreas Blenk et al, “Survey on Network Virtualization Hypervisors for Software Defined Networking,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 18, No. 1, 2016.
- [CORD16] Larry Peterson et al, “Central Office Re-Architected as a Data Center — SDN Use Cases for Service Provider Networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, Oct 2016.
- [CORDRefImp] Larry Peterson et al, “CORD Reference Implementation,” Jan 2017, link.
- [Sigcomm2020] The Network as a Programmable Platform, Sigcomm 2020 invited talk; YouTube.
- [ICC2018] NickMckeown ICC2018 Keynote: YouTube.
- [ONF2019] Nick Mckeown ONF 2019 keynote: YouTube.